Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through our links, at no cost to you. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Kids always have a way of mirroring the emotions, feelings, and habits of adults around them. It, therefore, becomes crucial for parents to express interest in their homework so that they can take it seriously. Homework has renowned long-term importance to students besides the usual boosting of their grades. So it becomes imperative for kids to embrace homework, and this means, playing your role as effectively as possible as the parent.
So how can you assist your kid to solve homework problems?
Ways of Assisting Your Child with After-School Assignments
- Set a consistent homework time. Establishing a homework routine can go a long way in helping kids complete their homework even in cases they don’t feel like. It all starts by setting up a consistent homework time. You, however, have to set a time that works best for your child’s strengths. For instance, immediately after dinner or early in the afternoon. Consider your kid’s age and individual needs before setting a time, because kids based on their age can require some minutes of play before homework and so forth. Further, work on the schedule with your kid to ensure they feel comfortable following it to become productive as a result. Set the amount of time-based on the age and academic level of your child.
- Select a homework spot. Pick a quiet study spot with a lot of light and set it up with study supplies close by. Well, your child’s study area should not prove too plain, but it should also not be too fancy. You can set up a desk in their bedroom through a table in the living room corner can also work fine for your kid.
- Remove distractions. Ensure that the TV gets switched off when your child carries out their homework. Further, discourage mobile phones during homework time, in as much as a call to a classmate can occasionally prove useful. Some kids can do homework effectively in a quiet space, while others prefer reasonable background music to focus. All you have to ensure entails making sure the music genre and volume cannot prove distractive.
- Give your child supplies and find crucial study resources. Please gather erasers, pens, pencils, dictionary, writing papers, staplers, rulers etc. and avail them to your child for their homework assignments. You can keep them together in an enclosure at the kid’s study desk to ensure they don’t get distracted while doing homework to go fetching the same. You can also provide crucial books necessary for their homework study, and this, you have to first, consult the school library or the nearest local library to get relevant materials. You can also provide a computer and limited internet access to help your child research their homework tasks.
- Become their role model. Most kids will study and complete their homework when they observe your writing, reading, or doing analytical things requiring effort. So, it’s crucial to discuss your work with your child to foster the drive to study and become equally accomplished.
- Show interest. You can easily demonstrate your interest in your child’s homework affair by taking them to the local library and having a look at the available materials required for their homework.
You can easily change the perception of kids not loving homework by taking the initiative of making your child enjoy doing their homework.