What does one give as Gifts for a new baby born too soon? Since the situation of a premature infant is definitely different than that of a healthy newborn, normal Baby gifts per se (ie clothing, toys, bottles, etc.) are not recommended. Here’s five ideas on what to send or bring over to new parents of a premature baby.
1. Jewelry – a locket pendant necklace for the new mom to wear with a photo of her baby is a great remembrance. Engraving the locket with the baby’s initials is even more appreciated.
2. Flowers – send fresh flowers with an inspirational message saying you are thinking of them and praying for their baby.
3. Food – offer to bring over a home-cooked meal as parents get sick of hospital food and eating fast food on the run.
4. Stuffed Animals – be sure the stuffed animal is small enough (say 3″ – 4″ wide/high) to fit inside of the isolette with the baby. The parents will think of you when they see it and give them something to talk about to the baby.
5. Volunteer – offer to babysit other siblings at home or to run errands that parents can’t get done while they are away at the hospital. If the parent is a co-worker, offering to transfer some of your vacation hours over is a wonderful gesture.